DayZ Wiki Update Project! — DayZ has undergone a lot of big changes in a short timespan. We need you to help us keep our pages and images up to date! Want to get started? Follow the link or Join the Update Project on Discord!
As part of the Unified Community Platform project, your wiki will be migrated to the new platform in the next few weeks. Read more here.
So basically I've been tearing through what parts of the compiled source I can make heads or tails of, as well as looking at the scripts, PBO files, and C classes in the bin files to understand just how this game works and have spotted a lot of things that might interest people and would also make a lot of what happens in the game easier to understand. So my question here is what information is relavant to the wiki and is there any information that you want to know that you can't tell from direct experimentation, like stats, or how certain factors effect stats.
A random example is the "hypothermia bug" which does not exist. If you are hypothermic for too long, you slowly gain a stat called "immunity" which will make you sick, and then give you a fever. The fever lowers your temperature even more and eventually you simply die without intervention because you lose health every second that you are hypothermic. You must stay warm for a certain period of time to remove this immunity stat to remove the cold and fever to actually get warm. If you wait too long it's an irreversible slippery slope. ThoughtWolf (talk) 19:09, 26 February 2016 (UTC)
- we take everything you can get, provided it's actual in the code and not some speculation. we already have some hard numbers for nutrionial values, weapon damage etc. it would be cool, if u could give us some details about for example damage resistance of clothings, damage in specific body parts or the effects of the different diseases etc.--TheBlackDracula (talk)
Friend add[edit source]
- If you go to my user profile page (not user wiki page, which is my default), do you have the option to add me? --Tatanko (talk) 23:14, 24 May 2016 (UTC)
DayZ 0.61[edit source]
- I haven't seen any evidence of that yet, but if I do we can add it. Peaches have been in the game files for a long time, but there has been no indication of when/if they would add them for real. --Tatanko (talk) 16:08, 9 November 2016 (UTC)
Spam pages and updates[edit source]
I've added an abuse filter to hopefully prevent the type of spam pages that have been cropping up lately. I'll keep an eye on it to make sure it's doing its job and no other spam starts popping up and it doesn't prevent legitimate edits.
Also, I've imported a bunch of standard templates, categories, etc. to bring the wiki up to the latest standard. I tried to make sure I didn't overwrite anything you guys have custom here or at least match your styling. Please let me know if there's any issues or anything else I can do to assist. Thanks! --Alianin T • C 17:55, 9 November 2016 (UTC)
- Also, I don't know if anyone has approached you about this yet, but if you're interested in an easier way to get in touch with top editors and Gamepedia staff, we have a Slack channel that you're welcome to join. Check out this page and fill out the form if you're interested: http://gamepedia.com/slackinvite --Alianin T • C 17:58, 9 November 2016 (UTC)
- Awesome, that's so helpful! This is exactly the kind of help I was hoping for. Thank you again. --Tatanko (talk) 18:19, 9 November 2016 (UTC)
Melee Weapons[edit source]
In preparation for the upcoming changes to melee combat I wanted to start updating the melee weapons pages and found them a little unwieldy. So, rather than having all of those tables on the main Weapons page, I used Wikipedia's go-to and created a separate list page for all melee weapons with the intent to remove the table on Weapons. I decided to merge the melee weapons' tables and change the information that was listed to, what I thought, was more useful. Since it is significantly different at this point, would you mind taking a look at it and telling me if you think it needs something more? The new list is here List of melee weapons.
Also, since melee combat and weapon damage are changing soon and I felt that they deserved a little more explanation, I've created a new Melee Damage Types page with some additional information and damage numbers. It currently links off of the List of melee weapons page and isn't complete, but I'd like to get your thoughts on that too. Runnick (talk) 17:42, 23 March 2017 (UTC)
- First off, thank you for your efforts! The weapons area is one of our most popular, but it's also one of the most complicated (as you know). After just having redone the player health area, I'm a bit mentally taxed, so it's nice to have someone else step up to bear the burden with me.
- I've been keeping an eye on what you're working on, and so far it looks pretty good to me. I personally believe that you went the correct route in more or less starting from scratch and rethinking what information is useful to players now versus when that page was first set up years ago. These pages you're creating may need some moving around within the overall structure of the wiki, but many changes need to be made in relation to the weapons category, so for now please continue to work on them as you have been and we'll worry about how they fit into the big picture later.
- With two (or more) of us working on this, I'm hopeful that we can have something current and substantial in place within the next month or so. That's the goal anyway. At the very least, I want to have some more current data in place by the time 0.62 reaches the Stable branch so we can be ready for an influx of traffic. Think we can do it? :) --Tatanko (talk) 17:58, 23 March 2017 (UTC)