- 1 Tools in the weapon section
- 2 Spoiler
- 3 Separating the planned weapons section
- 4 Questions
- 5 Weapons damage
- 6 Stable update today
- 7 Statistics
- 8 We should list the flare gun on this page, too.
- 9 Any guesses as to what the unidentified bolt-actions will be?
- 10 The .44 Desert Eagle is kinda odd...
- 11 An "other" weapon's section
Tools in the weapon section[edit source]
maybe we make a strict distinction between tools and weapons. only guns and real weapons like combat knife get a seperate link in weapons while the rest goes to tools etc. then we add a short info here like "most tools can be used as melee weapons, for more infos see tools" or something like that--TheBlackDracula (talk)
I think we should keep all the items that can only be used for fighting (pitchfork) or that are made for combat (Combat knives). In exchange that the tools that don't have a use outside combat (yet) are removed from the tool page to prevent confusion and that the melee weapons get a same treatment as the guns with picture and all. Like this:
not bad, but the page may get a bit full and we will have to divide it in the future (melee weapons, guns etc) if every weapons gets such a little table. also the baseball bat is a melee weapon not a tool before anybody asks (as long as theres no sport minigames in dayz).--TheBlackDracula (talk)
Meh, wouldn't it be better to list anything that can be used as a weapon, as it is, after all, a page for weapon listings? The tools page doesn't make it clear which can be used as a weapon, so we may as well put anything capable here. Also not sure why the AK101 and CR527 were undid. --Chaingunfighter (talk) 21:00, 27 July 2014 (UTC)
Almost everything can be used as a weapon, It would clog the entire page with melees. We used to note them all but it borders between what was and what wasn't a weapon started to become to hard to see. (also the new weapons where removed because they need to reach stable before we place them between the other weapons. Until then they are just planned.) --Basinox (talk) 21:06, 27 July 2014 (UTC)
- I agree that items which has special functions (such as can-opener, splitting-axe, hacksaw etc) should be listed as tools. However, it makes no sense that Firefighter Axe which is the best melee weapon in the game, isn't listed on the weapons page just because it can also split wood. I think that we should list tools which with notable melee capabilities here as well. --AnotherArk (talk) 20:23, 11 November 2014 (UTC)
can we make some spoilers in the table to shorten the page? like this:
I'm personaly a fan of the current look but if we can make the spoilers in such a way that it keeps the top layers like this.
Separating the planned weapons section[edit source]
Wouldn't separating the planned weapons section up a bit more be a good idea? Some of the stuff in there is known to be upcoming, others are in the game files but haven't been discussed, and yet even more are just weapons that have been brought up on a few occasions with nothing confirmed. I'd like to try separating these so people can get a better idea of what they're more likely to see eventually. This is especially important because of guns like the AK-74M, which was confirmed, but had its model repurposed into the AK-101 for pragmatic reasons, therefore rendering the 74M unconfirmed.
On an unrelated note, it'd be great if people could provide sources for "unconfirmed" weapons that don't exist in the game files (when possible). That way we don't have people just posting guns that they like trying to make them seem official--Chaingunfighter (talk) 20:56, 30 August 2014 (UTC)
- Great idea in my opinion. Would both provide people with a better idea of what to come next and make it easier for use to manage the unconfirmed section.
- Isn't there are more than one ammo type for the shotgun?
- Didn't they add Accuracy? if so it might be nice to add it.
- Is there any diffrence between AK Buttstock Plastic, Wooden and Folding ?
- There used to be slugs, but they were (at first) removed from being loaded into the shotguns. Now they've been completely removed from the game.
- Weapons have always had accuracy, they just recently (by recently I mean quite a few patches ago) started making more realistic values for them. IMO weapon accuracy should be brought up on the specific gun's page, what we have for the general weapon page is fine.
- Yes, they're all separate items; one is wood, one is plastic, and one is a metal under-folding stock. They don't affect performance much, but all attachments should be listed here.
Thank you for your input. Concerning 2, the reason I brought up is that our melee weapons offer an extensive damage stats. I was thinking along the same lines i.e. adding firearm basic stats, they can be compared at glance. As for 3, the reason I asked is if those are purely cosmetic differences, then maybe those entries should merged into one (like red\green\etc T-shirts) --AnotherArk (talk) 03:40, 20 October 2014 (UTC)
- @TheBlackDracula, Indeed you are corrent according to this 0.49 spreadsheet, the buttstock variants are modeled as more than cosmetic dress-up. It also provide the indo I mentioned above, like noise. (Interestingly enough it is tied to the bullet rather than the gun as I assumed, which is kind of make sense, despite what most will tell you its how loud + rate of fire that give the weapon away) --AnotherArk (talk) 23:07, 22 October 2014 (UTC)
Weapons damage[edit source]
According to this spreadsheet, it appears that weapons damage is calculated based on the bullet it uses. Hence :AKM, B95, CZ527, Mosin9130, Mosin9130 Sawed Off and SKS all have the same base damage.
I believe that each weapon's damage is also based on the value of hit (i.e. health lost = hit*damage(health)-armor). This value should be included with the other values! --184.108.40.206 07:26, 18 February 2016 (UTC)
Stable update today[edit source]
0.50.125369 just launched to stable. It's got the AK-74, AKS-74U, Derringer (3 variants), Repeater, and MP-133 Shotgun, so they may now be added. The AKM and AK-101 also need to be updated to show their acceptance of the AK-74's furniture and AKS-74U folding stock.
The AK-74, MP-133, and Repeater have pictures, the AKS-74U needs one, and the Derringer(s) need a page. The 5.45mm rounds used in the AK-74 and AKS-74U also need images. --Chaingunfighter (talk) 18:31, 5 November 2014 (UTC)
- Did some of it (Derringer Page, AKS-74U Photo+Attachments, and 5.45mm Rounds page.) --Basinox (talk) 20:33, 5 November 2014 (UTC)
- Thanks for the update Chaingunfighter. I think we got them all., although we still need few color\variant images and the Repeater could use a transparent background for this page image. --AnotherArk (talk) 09:17, 6 November 2014 (UTC)
Do we really need to note the hit damage (shock/blood/health) on all the weapon pages? I feel that those stats doesn't add anything to the pages, whether you look at a pistol page or rifles its pretty much the same values i.e. HitShockHead=20000 HitBlood=500 hit health=20o.. which give the impression that they are equally powerful. The reason for this is (as I understand it) is that those suppose to be BASE damage values (point blank) and are greatly modified by other factors. I suggest that those values are hidden for the time being, until someone can come up with a formula so we can rank weapons by their damage. --AnotherArk (talk) 09:17, 6 November 2014 (UTC)
- Why dont we just add those stats the ammo template? The ammo decides the damage in both real life and in the game files. --Basinox (talk) 10:19, 6 November 2014 (UTC)
- It would work great for melee weapons, but I can't speak of firearms, since I am not sufficiently familiar with all the engine specifics (e.g. what is 'hit' ? ).
Here is melee weapons rating based on Health Damage/Swing Time from those values:
Melee weapons all stats:
--14:04, 6 November 2014 (UTC)
We should list the flare gun on this page, too.[edit source]
It's definitely a tool at this stage, but I feel like because it's a ranged projectile firearm that's enough so that it can be listed here as well.--Chaingunfighter (talk) 15:59, 6 February 2015 (UTC)
- I agree with this. From what I understand it is also capable of doing damage, and I know that alone doesn't qualify something as a weapon, but it is a gun that fires projectiles capable of doing damage. If it walks like a duck and talks like a duck... --Tatanko (talk) 18:44, 6 February 2015 (UTC)
Any guesses as to what the unidentified bolt-actions will be?[edit source]
Since the Planned Weapons entry mentions unidentified bolt-action rifles, I'm curious as to what they will be. My guess is, since DayZ takes place in a fictional eastern European country, some of them will be early 20th Century service rifles. Say, a Kar98K or a Lee-Enfield. Maybe a few civilian hunting rifles will be there too (Maybe a TOZ-122? :P). HakutakuMyon (talk) 12:29, 22 March 2015 (UTC) (P.S. BTW, I'm the anon that had trouble removing that pointless bit of text a while ago.)
- The single most important aspect to predicting new weapons is its cartridge. It's been known for a while they want to avoid adding too many types of ammunition, so having it take 7.62 soviet, 7.62 russian, or 5.56 is rather important. There are a lot of weapons you could add, but you'd need to add 8mm Mauser, 7.62 NATO/.308, .30-06, 7.62 Tokarev, 7.62 Nagant, .303 British, et cetera. With the Alaskan being the first .308/7.62 NATO weapon being added they will probably eventually fix the 7.62 Russian description and add .308, so many rifles in .308 (including your TOZ-122, which is also available in .30-06 and more importantly the already present 5.56/.223) are an option. It's just important to remember that they want to get the maximum number of weapons per ammo type added. This is why the UMP was obviously going to be .45 if added, even though the UMP40 is much more common.
- You can pretty much entirely discount cartridges like .303 British and 8mm Mauser. .30-06 is plausible, but I imagine it'll be a while at the least. Ipuvaepe (talk) 16:32, 22 March 2015 (UTC)
The .44 Desert Eagle is kinda odd...[edit source]
- It uses .357 Magnum according to the game files; the model they chose just says .44 on it.
An "other" weapon's section[edit source]
Soon we'll be getting an X26 Tazer and CO2 Projector (Tranquilizer pistol.) Considering that they and other guns like the flare gun don't really fit into the pistol category, I propose that upon their implementation to stable we create an "Other" section for the ranged weapons and keep the flare gun, tazer, and projector there. That way they're still referenced as weapons and not just tools (most people would probably look for them here first) but aren't crowding up the constantly growing list of handguns. --Chaingunfighter (talk) 17:45, 21 August 2015 (UTC)