Zombies, otherwise known as zombies, are the inhabitants of the post-Soviet satellite state of Chernarus which have succumbed to an infection that has devastated most of the world's population. They feed on players and are able to hear and see them. Getting too close, using a bright light source at night, and making too much noise will draw them to a player. About 35% of Zombies have loot on them.
On military Zombies you can find ammo for rare weapons, for example AK or STANAG rounds. They also have a chance of dropping HE and Smoke Testing
Types of Zombie[edit | edit source]
- Walkers: These Zombies stand upright and walk slowly. They run very fast at the player and are often hard to hit. They are the most common type of Zombie.
- Hoppers: These Zombies are crouched and hop towards the player at a medium speed flailing their arms once aggroed, they can be hard to see and often blend in with grass on approach.
- Crawlers: These Zombies are the rarest and are in prone position, they can be very difficult to see in the grass and are the quickest of Zombies when they aren't aggroed. However, this is the slowest Zombie when they are aggroed. These may be mistaken as players from a distance because of their similar animations.
- Viral Zombies: Viral Zombies were added to version 1.7.7 of DayZ. They are identifiable by a significant amount of blood on their shirts. Their attack is 3 times the damage of normal Zombies. This type of Zombie has the same amount of blood as a normal survivor (12000).
Zombie Facts[edit | edit source]
Zombie Spawns[edit | edit source]
- Zombies can spawn from almost every kind of building, and they can also spawn inside them.
- When approaching a spawn zone (buildings) with no other players nearby, Zombies will spawn and start heading towards the player's general direction.
Idle Zombies[edit | edit source]
- Zombies have a programmed propensity to move towards a nearby player; they will continuously sense and move towards a nearby player's general location after a short while after arriving in their spawn zones, which can be observed if remaining in a town or other heavily built area for long periods.
- Zombies investigate lit fireplaces and other sources of light such as flares up to 300m from their position. However, Zombies cannot detect flashlights.
- Zombies will investigate thrown items and smoke grenades at shorter distances.
Aggressive Zombies[edit | edit source]
- Zombies will always close in and attack the closest player, and will change targets if another player is closer to them than the original target.
- Zombies are not socially active, or grouped, so aggroing of one Zombie will not cause others to aggro.
- Zombies can be lost by breaking their line of sight, but they will continue to investigate players' last known locations and the area; going prone after leaving their sight can lose Zombies, especially during nightime.
- Zombies stop chasing players when they are more than 300m away.
Zombie Movement[edit | edit source]
- Zombies can climb ladders, open doors, climb over (or glitch through) some objects, and crawl under fences and walls.
- Zombies currently must walk when they are indoors, making large warehouses and other open buildings ideal for losing them.
- Zombies are extremely slow at climbing steep hills, allowing a chance for the player to break their line of sight.
- It is possible to shake Zombies by zigzagging through evergreen trees, breaking the Zombie line of sight and crouch/crawl away.
- Zombies currently will not go anywhere over water (piers, wharves, etc).
Zombie Damage[edit | edit source]
- Zombies do little damage on their own but often cause status effects like bleeding, pain, or Broken Bones; and, occasionally, Infection.
- Zombies can knock you Unconscious in one hit if you're under 9000 blood, or if the hit took you under 9000 blood.
- Zombie swarms attacking players in a building may very rarely destroy the building.
- Zombies can hit you (and you can hit them with a melee weapon) when they may appear to be too far away.
Zombie Health[edit | edit source]
- Zombies have about 4400 blood.
Zombie pathfinding[edit | edit source]
Zombie are spawned by the server and every client receives their position from the server.
Once Zombie are alerted to your presence and actively start chasing you, your client takes over the Zombie's pathfinding; this is sent to the server and relayed to other players. Because of this mechanic Zombies can often lag, even at low latencies to the server.
This is performed to ease the AI pathfinding load on the server.