“Selective-fire assault rifle, fed from a standardized detachable magazine. Offers a lot of customization with attachments. Uses 5.56x45mm rounds. — In-game description
The M4-A1 is a weapon suited to short-medium range firing. The high rate of fire in Full Auto makes it suitable for close-range encounters, and its Semi Auto fire mode allows for greater control at further ranges, however long range firing is not recommended. The weapon has fairly low recoil.
Specific attachments can reduce the dispersion of the rifle, increasing its accuracy, such as buttstocks, handguards, optics and suppressors. The rifle spawns with a polymer handguard and buttstock, however there is only a chance of it spawning with a magazine.
Because of the CLE there can only be a minimum of 7 and a maximum of 10 M4-A1s in the game world at any given time. Any M4-A1s that are in storage, on a player, or on the map will count towards those numbers. However, if there are open slots in your server and those numbers are already filled, they wont stop more people from joining that also have them therefor there can be more than the max number.
Because of the M4-A1 having the fastest fire rate from all other assault rifles in game, and it having the highest bullet velocity it can be said that stat wise it is the best assault rifle excluding the LAR in game due to the 7.62x39, 5.45x39 and 5.56x45 rounds sharing the same damage values, although for many it is a mater of preference as some players find the slighty slower fire rate of the KA rifles more desirable.
Weapon attachments are any accessories or devices that attach to a firearm in order to add, improve or modify the weapon's functionality or performance. In DayZ Standalone these attachments take the form of sights/optics, handguards, buttstocks, muzzle devices, barrel and handguard attachments and gun wraps.
Sights and Optics
- The M4-A1 is based upon the real life M4A1 carbine, chambered in 5.56×45mm NATO.
- As of 0.63, the M4-A1 returned to being a Military loot weapon, instead of being exclusive to UH-1Y Venom Helicopter Crash Sites.
- Before 1.0, the M4-A1 was named the M4A1.
- The M4A1 did not spawn for the duration of 0.59. It is possible this was done on purpose, as it was then spawned illegitimately by hackers -- making it easier to track them down.
- Still as of 1.10, the M4-A1 still has no gas-tube when the handguards are removed. Making it technically impossible to fire in Semi/Full-Auto in real life