Fishing is the process of catching wildlife in the water and is one way to collect food for sustenance. There are two ways to catch a fish in DayZ Standalone: by using a fishing rod, or by using some sort of trap. (Fishing traps aren’t implemented in 1.06)
Tools of the Trade[edit | edit source]
- Hooks & Bait
Using a Rod[edit | edit source]
In order to use this method, you need to be in possession of a Fishing Rod, but as an alternative you can craft an Simple Fishing Rod. You'll also need either a Fishing Hook or a Bone Fishing Hook in order to attach Earthworms for use as bait. You must dig up worms using a knife or a pickaxe. Every time you catch a fish, you lose the bait that was used, so worms will need to be re-added after every catch.
- Locate a body of water, either a pond or the sea.
- Place the fishing rod of choice in your hands, with bait attached to it. Stand by the shore and hold left click to cast your line.
- When your player has casted the line into the water they will “reel” the line in when the circle is full, but don’t stop holding down left click until your player sets the hook in. They will do a distinct animation, when they do this release left click.
- After the fish has been caught you must take the hook off the rod and attach another earthworm before casting your line to attempt to catch another fish.
Using a Trap[edit | edit source]
Entirely different to the process of using a fishing rod, using a trap to capture fish is a more passive approach to the activity. There are two very different traps available for use by players, but both options are craftable items and cannot be found as loot. One is the Small Fish Trap, constructed from a plastic bottle, used for catching smaller fish (as its name implies). There is also the much larger Fish Net Trap which can be used to catch fish of a more "normal" size. Once you have crafted a trap, you will need to add worms as bait -- a consumable that must be replaced with every catch, the same as using a rod.
- Place the trap in salt water (the sea). As of right now, these traps will only work in the sea (not ponds, marshes, or rivers).
- Wait 10 to 15 minutes for the trap to do its work.
- Check the trap by re-adding it to your inventory. There should be fish inside. If not, return the trap to the water and allow it more time. You may need to re-add worms.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Ever since DayZ 1.0, fishing was impossible. The Fishing Rod did not spawn, and the Improvised Fishing Rod was un-craftable. But with the upcoming 1.06 update, fishing will be re-enabled, although the traps seem to not be working, and are not spawning