- This page covers the Standalone version of DayZ. For information on the Mod see Mod:Airfields
An Airfield is a location from which aircraft flight operations take place. Chernarus has three total airfields: one big international airport and two small airstrips. Airfields are easily distinguished by their long runways, hangars and air traffic control towers (or ATC tower).
These areas are notorious for housing bandit groups due to the frequency of foot traffic and good loot in these locations. Bandits with sniper rifles will often occupy ATC towers as sniper nests because of the elevation and scope of view they provide. Many players are drawn to the airfields due to some of the best item spawns being in their adjacent military complexes.
Locations[edit | edit source]
- Chernarus International Airfield (NWAF) - A large commercial airfield located inland in the far northwest. There is a military camp very close, a military base on the nearby mountain, and the airfield itself has quite a few military buildings. It has an ATC tower at the middle of the airfield that sits across the road from the fire station.
- Krasnostav Airstrip (NEAF) - This facility is entirely civilian in nature, and spawns a good amount of loot that corresponds to that status.
- Balota Airstrip (SWAF) - It has a terminal similar to Krasnostav, and a few temporary military fixtures such as tents and nests.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Previously all Airfields had a military presence, however the Balota camp was moved nearby to Myshkino and the Krasnostav Airstrip was converted into a civilian airport, leaving only the International Airfield and with an established military camp nearby.
- In .62 the Runway Bearings are not correct, (Tested on the Krasnostav Airstrip)
- With 0.63, the Balota Airstrip's buildings were removed (replaced with a single Civilian Airport Complex) and some sparse military tents put in their absence.