Zombies are non-player character (NPC) characters on the continent of Chernarus. They feed on players and are able to hear and see them. Getting too close, using a bright light source at night, and making too much noise will draw them to a player.
About 35% of zombies have loot on them. On civilian zombies you can find Canned Food, Soda Cans, rounds for common Weapons like Makarov PM or Lee Enfield or empty cans and bottles. On military zombies you can find ammo for rare weapons, for example AK or STANAG. They also have a chance of dropping HE and Smoke Grenades.
Types of Zombie
- Walkers: These zombies stand upright and walk slowly. They run very fast in zigzags at the player and are often hard to hit. They are the most common zombie type.
- Hoppers: These zombies are crouched and hop towards the player at a medium speed flailing their arms once agroed, they can be hard to see and often blend in with grass on approach.
- Crawlers: These zombies are the rarest and are in prone position, they can be very difficult to see in the grass and are the quickest of zombies when they arn't aggroed. However, this is the slowest zombie when they are aggroed.
- Zombies can spawn inside buildings as well as outside
- Zombies do little damage on their own but often cause Bleeding
- Zombies currently MUST walk when they are indoors
- Zombies can climb ladders, open doors and swim
- Zombies can knock you Unconscious in 1 hit if you're under 9000 blood
- Zombie swarms attacking players in the building may very rarely destroy the building
- Zombies are not socially active, which means that if you agro 1 zombie that doesn't mean that all the others will agro too
- Zombies ALWAYS agro on the closest player. Even if they are already chasing someone, they can change their target
- Zombies will go prone to crawl under fences
- Zombies have a programmed propensity to move towards a nearby player even if they are not moving
- Zombies investigate lighted fireplaces up to 300m from their position during loiter
- Zombies will investigate thrown items and smoke grenades
- Zombies stop chasing when the Player is more than 300m away
- Zombies can be escaped by breaking their line of sight
- Zombies are extremely slow at climbing steep hills, allowing a chance for the player to break line of sight
- If Zombies lose line-of-sight, they will continue to investigate the area
How the Zombie Pathing works
When you first see zombies shambling around town, they are spawned by the server and every client is fed Zed positioning by the server. (unconfirmed if the model is always the same for every player the same way player skins are random when you log in and out etc:)
Once you agro a Zed, your LOCAL machine takes over the Zed pathing and relays the position to the server which then relays that to other players. Because of this mechanic you quite often get Zed lag even if the server is not lagging nor you are from the server.
The best tactic if you find this happening a lot is to obviously kill the zombie before it agros OR when you agro a zed prone to the floor and let your friend/s spam the "lagged zed" with bullets, if you don't have friends you should make some.
This is done to ease the load on the sever as if the server did the Pathing every time a Zed was agroed it would slow down horribly.