|Category||Equipment > Other|
|Size||4 Slots (2x2)|
|Capacity||15 Slots (5x3), plus:|
Stack of Firewood
Stack of Wooden Sticks
Stack of 6 or 8 Small stones
Stack of 8 Stones
A Cooking Tripod
A Cooking Pot
|Location(s)||Can only be crafted|
- "Fireplace provides energy for various purposes such as building up heat comfort or cooking foods."
- — In-game description
A Fireplace is a craftable structure. Once lit, it can be used to cook food and provide warmth and light to any nearby survivors. Be aware, standing too close to the fire will cause you harm, which will be indicated by the messages "I am burning" and "my face is melting".
How it Works[edit | edit source]
As of 0.54, the process of constructing and using a fireplace has changed significantly. You no longer need to craft a Fireplace Kit first and then turn it into a fireplace; all of that is done in one step now. To construct and light a basic fireplace, you'll need some form of kindling (Wooden Stick + Rags, Paper, or a Bandage), either additional Wooden Sticks or Firewood to burn as fuel, and matches to ignite the fire.
- A basic fireplace can be crafted by combining wooden sticks and either a bandage, a rag, or paper. Once a basic fireplace is crafted, it may be placed almost anywhere on the ground.
- After creating the basic fireplace, you'll need to add fuel in the form of Wooden Sticks or Firewood. Adding either of these is done through the inventory screen, by placing it "on" the basic fireplace. You can add up to 5 Firewood at a time as a single stack. You can also upgrade the fireplace into an oven by adding a pile of 8 full-sized stones(build 0.57.128177) and it is also possible to combine Cooking Tripod with the fireplace as well in the same manner.
- Ignite the fireplace by holding a Matchbox and lighting it up. How easy it is to start a fire depends on weather conditions such as wind strength and rain. Starting a fire in wind and/or rain will result in added difficulty in doing so successfully, and may also cause your fire to stop burning.
- If all of the fuel for a fireplace has been consumed or weather results in the fire going out, it can be reignited by looking at the still-glowing fireplace while it remains warm and blowing air into via scrolling your mouse wheel and selecting the appropriate option. This will only work so long as there is some sort of fuel in the fireplace such as Firewood, so if it has all been consumed, more will need to be added before reigniting the fireplace is possible.
- As of 0.53, cooking with a basic Fireplace is no longer possible. Any items placed directly into the fire will now become ruined very rapidly. See the cooking section below.
- As of 0.55 you can place ammunition and spray paint cans which cause them to fire around or blow accordingly. (NOTE: This is not working as of 0.58. It is a known bug.)
NOTE: It is currently possible to remove the kindling (sticks, rags, etc.) from a fireplace after it has been crafted. Doing so will leave you with a fireplace consisting only of "logs" (not necessarily Firewood, if you haven't added any to the fireplace) which cannot be lighted. Kindling must be present in the fireplace for it to be ignited if the fire is not still warm from previously burning.
Cooking with a Fireplace[edit | edit source]
- As of 0.53, cooking with a fireplace now requires you to use a cooking device such as a Cooking Pot. In order to use a Cooking Pot, you will need to first fill it with water.
- To add a Cooking Pot to the fireplace, it must first be upgraded to an oven or a Cooking Tripod must be used to hang the pot.
- Once you have added the Cooking Pot to the fireplace, you may add raw meat to the cooking pot.
- Now that you've put meat in the cooking pot, the Item Slot where the meat is will slowly become rose red, light red and finally deep red.
- After about 5 minutes, your raw meat will turn into cooked meat. Drag it into your inventory or it will soon become burned (which will make you sick when eaten).
- NOTE: Some kinds of raw meat (e.g. the Carp) have to be sliced into a cookable resource (Raw Fish Fillet) using a Bladed Melee Weapon like the Kitchen Knife.
- NOTE: Keep an eye on your surroundings - other players may see the smoke of your fire rising above trees from afar, and seek it out.
Crafting[edit | edit source]
- Basic Fireplace
- Adding fuel to Fireplace
- Fireplace with Stone Ring
- Fireplace with Cooking Tripod
- Stone Oven