Blood is essentially the health of the player. Blood begins at 12,000 for a freshly spawned player. If the player's blood reaches 0, they will die.
 Blood Levels
As blood decreases, color saturation starts to drain from the player's screen. Complete saturation loss usually occurs around 4000 to 3000 blood. At this point the character will occasionally shake, and your character's heartbeat can be heard. Sound becomes more muffled as you lose blood. At less than 3000, you will start to randomly fall Unconscious.
At a blood level of 0 or below, the player is dead.
- 12000 - Max Blood
- < 9000 - Susceptible to "Knock out" from zombies
- < 8000 - Color and sound begin to fade
- < 3000 - May fall Unconscious. This is a 1 out of 100 chance, calculated every second
- < 2000 - Severe vision impairment (black and white screen), and severe loss of hearing
- 0 - Death
 Regaining Blood
To regain blood you can either eat Food, or use Blood Bags. Blood bags are the most effective form of treatment, but must be administered by another player with the action menu. Cooked Meat replenishes blood faster than canned food.
- Canned Goods increase blood count by 200, up to the maximum of 12,000.
- Raw Meat increases blood count by:
* Rabbit: 400 per * Beef: 100 per * Bacon: 150 per * Mutton: 100 per * Chicken: 100 per up to the maximum of 12,000. However, eating raw meat does offer a chance of getting an infection.
- Cooked Meat increases blood count by:
* Rabbit: 1600 per * Beef: 600 per * Bacon: 400 per * Mutton: 400 per * Chicken: 400 per up to the maximum of 12,000.
- Blood Bags instantly restores the player's blood to the maximum of 12,000.
When low on blood, it is recommended that you retreat into the woods. While there are fewer zombies here, there are also animals that provide meat; as long as you have the tools necessary to kill, gut, and cook the animal, you can acquire a good stash of food without the risk of sneaking into town. You will need:
- Any Weapon (Even a hatchet will do, animals don't run away for some reason!)
- Hunting Knife Needed to gut the animal, which provides you with Raw Meat
- Hatchet to harvest wood.
- Box of Matches To light the fire.
Make sure the meat and a pile of wood is in your inventory, right click your matches and "make fireplace" and then mouse-wheel to light the fire, and again to cook the meat.
Bleeding will sometimes stop on its own, without the need for a bandage. This effect appears to occur more often at more minor levels of injury.
 Hunger and Thirst
The HUD will provide a flashing red indicator if you are dying of hunger or thirst.