- This page covers the Standalone version of DayZ. For information on the Mod see Mod:Navigating
Navigation, knowing where we are and where are we headed, is key to survival in any unknown area. Chernarus is vast and it's easy to lose track in unfamiliar terrain or the wilderness, far away from towns. There are multiple methods to find your position or direction, which can aid finding a way to your destination safely. Although some may be easier than others, mastering all of them means that you'll never truly be lost in Chernarus no matter how far off the path you stray.
There are several devices which can be used to determine your positon and or direction, making navigating much easier. Devices such as the map and compass, additionally GPS receiver and Watch might be added in the future.
- The map is your most important land navigation tool. The key to finding your location by using the map is looking around the area for landmarks or notable terrain features which are easy to find on the map. Going up a hill from which you have a good view of the area will make is helpful, but not necessary. Find some landmarks around you and try to locate them on the map. Such points might be roads, towns, docks, castle ruins, fields, tree lines etc
Additionally the map can be used to familiarize yourself with lay of the land before you venture forth.
There are several methods that you can use to determine direction and to maintain course of travel, without the use of navigational aids, including the sun, moon, stars and wind, These methods, however, will give you only a general direction, but, with use the terrain they will help you navigate without a compass.
- Sun: One of the most obvious ways of determining directions is observing the sun relationship to earth. Since the sun always rises in the east and sets in the west. In order to find north, place the sun to your right during the morning and on your left during the evening. Obviously with this method, knowing which time it is on the server is of course crucial.
- Stars: During the night, it can be hard to orientate and very hard to know which direction you're walking. Finding the Northern Star is the most obvious and the most reliable way to find north at that time. While the night sky will rotate and move as you travel Chernarus, the North Star will always point north and finding it will give you a solid reference point when you don't have a compass.
- It's best to start from finding the Ursa Major, one of the brightest constellations. When you find it, draw a line between the two stars at the front of the constellation. Follow it and you will find the polar star, which also marks the start of the Ursa Minor's "handle". It's a very big and bright star, so finding it shouldn't be too hard if only the sky isn't filled with clouds. Face the polar star and you will be facing north.
- The Moon: During waxing and waning crescents of the moon's phases, it can be used to determine a rough approximation of which direction points South. To do so first locate the moon and draw an imaginary line connecting the two points of the crescent on the concave side. Then extend this imaginary line down to the horizon. Where this line intersects the horizon is roughly South.
- Clouds: In Dayz the Wind always blows from the west to the east, opposite of the sun/moon cycle, so use the movements of the clouds to find East and West.
Terrain and Landmarks
If you are in the countryside, in the middle of nowhere, look for signs of civilization such as Road, Railroad, Power lines following them will always lead you to towns. Most towns are on the coast or on low level ground. If you really need to find a town, use a high vantage point, like a hill, to scan for buildings. Don't expect to find a metropolis at the top of a mountain.
Look for notable\familiar landmarks. You can find many such Key Locations, such as crashed helicopters, fire station, an airstrip etc to help tell friends where you are.
- Road Signs: Across Chernarus there are many road signs marking Towns and Cities boundaries and giving road directions to the next town, which are really useful when you have a map. If you are unsure where you are, simply match the road sign name up with where it lies on the map. Once you've determined what town you are in, you have a starting point to navigate elsewhere.
- Note: Road sign are all written in Cyrillic, which often makes it a bit tricky to figure out which town these signs are actually pointing to. See Towns and Cities page for full listing of all settlements.
- Railroad - If you follow the railroads you will surely find a train station -- often with the name of the town -- and the town itself. It can also provide point of reference to the coast.
- Power lines are a way to navigate the countryside of Chernarus. The network consists of a Power Plant, sub-stations, and high voltage transmission lines (the really tall ones) which go across nearly the entirety of Chernarus. Following power lines is a sure way to eventually find a town if you are lost. If you can't find these, scan surrounding hill tops for cuts in the trees, as paths are cut through trees for power lines.
Reference to the Coast
The simplest method that can be used if you're near the shore and aware of your general location. Since Chernarus connects with the sea in the south and east. If you're at the south coast, turn your back to the sea and north will be in front of you. On the east coast you will find north by having the sea to your right.
Additionally as fresh spawn, if you can see the sea, you can easily use the coastal Railroad tracks to find your general location. Once at the shoreline, turn around so the water is at your back and run in-land.