Humanity is an in-game statistic that determines whether a player is a survivor, a bandit, or a hero, as well as being a general indicator of how well a player interacts with others. A player starts off with a humanity of 2500. A humanity of at least 5000 will give a player the hero skin. Conversely, a humanity of 0 or below will give a player the bandit skin. A player will gain humanity upon administering medical supplies to another player, and will lose humanity by injuring or killing survivors or heroes.
 Gaining humanity
There are several ways to gain humanity in DayZ. The primary method by which players gain humanity is through administering medical supplies to other players that need treatment, such as through bandaging a bleeding player. If a player's humanity drops below 2500, it will be replenished at a rate of approximately 30 points per minute until the player's humanity is restored to at least 2500. This restoration will not occur if a player's humanity is ≤0. Zombies do not yield humanity points when killed.
 Healing others
- 20 humanity points will be received for using a bandage to stop another player's bleeding.
- 250 humanity points will be received for using a blood bag to give another player a blood transfusion.
- 50 humanity points will be received for using morphine to heal another player's fractured or broken bones
- 20 humanity points will be received for using painkillers to relieve another player's pain.
- 20 humanity points will be received for using antibiotics to heal another player's disease.
 Losing humanity
A player will lose humanity points when injuring or killing survivors or heroes. Humanity loss when killing a survivor is based on the number of projectiles or explosions that hit plus the amount of humanity that the other player has upon death.
- It is unclear whether Epi-Pens, or Heat Packs will yield humanity points when administered.
- Receiving humanity for killing a bandit is dependent on whether their humanity is negative or not. If it is positive, you will not gain humanity. If it is negative, you will gain 200 humanity.
- A bandit will become a survivor at 2000 humanity.
- A hero reverts back to a survivor once his humanity goes below 5000. It will happen when the player reconnects to the server.
- Firing pellets from a shotgun and hitting another player may reduce the shooter's humanity substantially, due to the large amount of projectiles being fired.
This section is out of date
- A bandit may sometimes appear to be a hero. The mechanics of this deception are unclear.
- There is currently a bug in which humanity may be reset upon switching clothing. (Which you can fix by disconnecting and reconnecting)
- There is currently a bug where your backpack will be reset to the starter Coyote Patrol pack when the player changes skin.
This section requires expansion