- This page covers the Standalone version of DayZ. For information on the Mod see Mod:Blood
 Blood Levels and Effects
Blood is capped at 5000. Unlike in the DayZ mod, there is no icon indicating blood levels in-game. Instead blood level is represented by the screen desaturating. The less color you see, the lower your blood level.
As your blood level decreases, you gain less resistance against shock damage caused by getting hit by either melee attacks or bullets and are therefore more likely to get knocked out.
When your blood level falls below 500, you will fall unconscious. And will have to restore your blood level above 500 to successfully recover, natural regeneration will allow this, but if you are bleeding or otherwise actively losing blood, intervention by another player will be needed.
Counter-intuitively losing all your blood will not kill you, but will prevent you from recovering from unconsciousness. Instead losing all your Health is the cause of death.
Bleeding commonly occurs when a player is injured by zombies but can also happen due to gunshot wounds or other forms of inflicted injury. When bleeding, a player will receive various warning messages indicating that he/she is bleeding, the point of injury or bleeding is usually visible when examining the body.
When bleeding, immediate treatment using a bandage or a rag must be done to prevent further blood loss and its side-effects - unconsciousness and a greying of the screen. Longer term treatment should include the player staying well fed and hydrated, to naturally regenerate blood. One may optionally receive a saline bag or a transfusion from a blood bag to give a quick boost.
- Note: Be careful with blood bags! make sure the donor and recipients blood is compatible, using incompatible blood will kill the recipient, with no prevention possible!
Loss of blood may vary depending on the type of injury, the following are a list of inflicted injuries in order of most severe to the least in terms of blood loss.
- Projectile or gunshot wounds, larger caliber bullets inflict heavier damage plus severe bleeding.
- Slice wounds or that caused by hatchets or knives.
- Blunt force.
- Zombie attacks.
- Poisoning, Thirst, Hunger.
 Regaining Blood
Blood can be regained through various methods:
- Natural Regeneration: Slow but steady regeneration over time.
- Saline bag injection: Instant 500 blood increase, enough to wake an unconscious player, assuming the cause is blood loss. This method is risk free.
- Blood bag transfusion: Instant 1000 blood increase, twice the amount of a saline bag, but riskier.
Natural regeneration is the only method which does not require another player.